Wednesday 29 October 2008

Newcastle





Trip to Newcastle, 23rd-24th. About time I did a blog then! 

I LOVED Newcastle. Totally surprised, as, no offence to the Geordies, I'd always imagined it to be an industrial...well, dive! The architecture blew me away, kept saying repeatedly how it looked like New York to me. And then after walking and exploring more decided it was Bath mixed with New York. Had a great vibe, and was a tiny bit grotty, which I quite like. On arriving, a few of us followed Ash (always follow a local!) to Side Cafe, a great little place with a mini art exhibition, a cinema screen and lounge, and most importantly, delicious food. Never had pomegranate in a salad before! 



After The Baltic we went and found the 'Lighten Up' exhibition in the tower. Which worked perfectly, the recycled materials made for beautiful lights, illuminating the dirty yet stunning tower. Apparently the tower is rarely open, so it was quite a privilege to be visiting at the time.


Spotted this on the way to Side Cafe.


In the tower, Lighten Up exhibition.



Ok, this post is doing my head in. Cannot get the images to do what I want them to. This image is from the glass elevator in the Baltic, shows the Sage and Brooklyn Bridge. (No idea what the bridge is actually called..)



Hang on, I got it to do something then... 
The image above is from the Scandinavian illustrators exhibition. This was one of my favourites. Really liked the laid back feel to the venue and how you had to go up in an elevator to the 4th floor to get there! One particular illustrator who stood out for me was Emmi. (See Emmi.co.uk)


The image used on the adverts above and below some illustrations I particularly liked. You could buy them for £35 unmounted on acetate.. tempting..



The view from the Brooklyn Bridge on the last afternoon before leaving. Really glad we found out how to get on it eventually. Loved watching the view change as you walked past and saw more layers of buildings and being just above the roof terraces.


Reflection of the quayside in the Sage.

And to end a projection of a horse, through the projector, ey, didnt see that one coming! And apologies to those with vertigo..



1 comment:

Sara Luxe said...

i love the toon. all my family are from there. its a brill nyt out! x