Thursday 5 March 2009

Elective: Recycling & Sustainability


Aims as a practitioner:
  • To be well informed - understand the affect I have on the environment; through my practice, use of materials, and processes.
  • To make well informed decisions based upon the environmental impact.
  • Recycle more prolifically.
  • Create less waste and use less paper.
  • Design with a conscience - where possible, for clients with similar principles in terms of environmental and social impact.

Self-Initiated Brief:

Primarily, I want to raise awareness. Secondary, I want to provoke thought and encourage debate to lead to new thinking, attitudes, and ultimately, decisions, within the public in relation to the environment. 

The process I want to use is Communication. This is something I have been looking at recently in the 'Designing For Audiences' brief, where I have produced posters to encourage students to budget better. Feedback from 2nd years suggested Shock Advertising, in particular facts and figures as to why they should budget. I think this is something which could be affective with relation to the environment.

At this point, I'm looking into producing screen-printed posters. Having researched the best means of doing this (water based inks) I have found the most widely used brand is Permaset. Online retailers of Permaset include:
  • eBay, at about £8 for the cheapest inc delivery
  • artifolk - a UK company, £7.10 not inc. delivery
  • Fred Aldous - a Manchester based Arts & Crafts supplier, via the internet or in store, £6.00 (not inc. delivery)
It would be quite expensive to print using three or more colours, therefore either the poster could be designed for two colours or I could find someone to collaborate on to buy inks with.

My search also led me to I Dress Myself, an eco-friendly screen printers, who I heard about through finding Nicholas Saunders website. He has some incredible screen prints and his illustrations are on the cover of the current Howies catalogue. Howies are well worth a look for their approach to environmental issues. Currently, they are measuring their footprint and moving manufacturing to lessen airmiles, as well as introducing Hand-me Down clothes intended to last at least 10 years.

This is something I'm also interested in, throw away fashion culture vs. regenerating old clothes into something new. I think this has been done as part of an event in Hyde Park, whereby you could take your unwanted clothes and receive a voucher to use to swap for revamped clothes. 

                                                                                              Nicholas Saunders



Other helpful websites:

Mantis Graphics for why you should use water based inks
Newell Graphics for pretty designs

No comments: