Saturday 10 January 2009

Billboards, Thermal Paper & Tierney Gearon

Wow, so I knew it had been a while since I'd updated. Didn't realise it was a month & a half.

Saw this when driving in to Cambridge for some Christmas shopping. Poor quality as its just a quick phone snap.

The following images are experiments for a presentation on 'the fax machine', did you know the fax machine revolutionised the speed at which we receive news stories with photos?

Anyway, I found on a youtube video that thermal fax machine paper can be used with heat appliances, to create, well, pretty naff black blobs if you go by my first attempt. 


For the first two and fourth images I used ceramic hair straighteners, the third and fifth is using a hair dryer; to 'stamp' and held away, the sixth is a combination of hair dryer for the smudges and a glue gun (sans glue stick) for the more defined (attempted) animal print.

Christmas was ace, I couldn't have wished for anything more. Really great time catching up with friends & family, (and crazy family friends you haven't seen for 8 years but end up round for Christmas) eating too much chocolate and vegging out. Thanks to a genious Christmas present I am reunited with my Lumix (same model & everything!) and a rather inspired present; a Holga, which I am very excited about trying out soon. Particularly double exposures - I know its dead easy to do, but I think there are some amazing photos to be had using the technique. I've been inspired after reading an article in the Telegraph magazine from last week on Tierney Gearon (www.tierneygearon.com). She caused a media stir in March 2001, when she exhibited at the Saatchi Gallery, in I Am a Camera, with photos of her naked children. Also The Mother Project is worth a look (www.themotherproject.com) a documentary/short film about Gearon visiting her mother, which featured in the Sundance Film Festival.
Adios. x

No comments: