Wednesday 14 January 2009

Sandpit

Going to use this blog for the current brief 'Sandpit', examining my relationship with technology.

Technology I currently use:

Mobile phone - contact, time, camera, calendar
Internet - contact, social networking, blogs, tv (iPlayer), research, shopping
Laptop - Internet, work, managing digital photos
Digital camera - work, documentation


Technology I wish to use/understand/learn more of:

Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator - develop skills, interested in enhancing hand drawn illustrations and creating work entirely in P/I
Webdesign - looked at in previous brief, would like to learn more about
DSLR - looking to buy a DSLR, look at which model to buy and why and how to use it

Originally, following on from the introductory lecture I had wanted to research into mobile phones and where the components are made and the environmental, social and economical consequences. Or, to look at the KGOY phenomenon (Kids Getting Older Younger) as I read a Telegraph article which mentioned this in relation to the appeal of the Barbie doll. "...that makes children abandon toys earlier, but also all the other calls on their time, from mobile phones to the internet, Playstations to iPods". I think I was drawn to the KGOY thread because it genuinely saddens me to see young children hunched over Nintendo DS's or playing on the Wii rather than being outside playing creatively and with others. 

However, following the second briefing, with the hand out, I've realised I had interpreted the brief wrong. It seems I need to explore as many possible technologies as possible, and document the process. I will use this blog as much as possible, as that in itself does not come naturally - I far prefer to work in a sketchbook.

There are plenty of avenues to explore and I am still interested in researching the social implications of using current technologies.


No comments: