Friday 23 January 2009

Plan

Have been struggling to blog, as jotting things down and working out what to do seems to come more naturally in a sketchbook. 

Decided upon my direction with the Communication Technology brief - 

Exploring the lo-fi technology of a Holga camera, which is new to me and allows me to document my experience and what I learn from it. I have never used medium format and only in the past used a 35mm film in a Lomography camera (I broke my ColourSplash!) 

I will then contrast this with digital photography - the precision and polishing, from seeing the shot on screen immediately to polishing photos to perfection in Photoshop. 

I found Photoshop tutorials whilst trying to help someone create a CD cover for a project. One that seemed particularly straight forward was 'blending' as part of photomanipulation. The blogger who wrote the tutorial used two images and blended the two on top of each other. I therefore decided for the first film using the Holga I would experiment with double exposure, a popular technique. 

I have also decided, upon speaking to my tutor, that I will look at the history of photography and where it is going - for example digital cameras with in built GPS to geo-tag each photo in flickr, or iPhoto's new application in the revamped iWorks - face recognition and tagging.

I will compare the results of double exposure on the Holga and it's 'happy accidents' with the more precise photomaniuplation on a digital photo. 

Links;


'The unassuming Holga is here to save you from a future of didgital pixels and images shared on small screens on cameras or phones.' 

No comments: